Head of Centre - Operations
This job has been closed.
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
The Outdoor Education Service delivers high quality learning and outdoor experiences to the young people of Coventry.
At present, the offering is delivered through our Plas Dol y Moch site in North Wales. The centre is run by a high-quality team, including qualified teachers delivering high-quality education through the medium of the outdoors in a residential setting.
In order to protect the long-term viability of the service, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan to expand the scope of the offering the service provides. This will include expanding the service into Coventry to ensure that young people in the city have access to a range of quality provision.
What is the job role?
This is a important operational role, one in which the successful candidate will need to realise an ambitious plan to support and expand the outdoor education provision both in Wales and Coventry.
The Head of Centre will lead the delivery of all operational systems which provide high-quality, effective and economically-viable outdoor learning sessions at the centre, with line management responsibility for all staff employed to teach and/or assist the programmed sessions and budgetary responsibilities for the centre.
- To lead the team at Plas Dol y Moch to ensure the quality of residential outdoor education to children is delivered to the current high standards, including education outcomes, quality of experience and health and safety.
- To develop and implement a strategic plan to increase the range of outdoor learning opportunities for young children in Wales and Coventry.
- Working with the team, identify additional and appropriate commercial opportunities at Dol y Moch.
- Ensuring the residents of Coventry are engaged with the service by engaging with them and building a trusted brand.
- Work with the Senior Manager Outdoor Education, and other council leadership and stakeholders (eg Friends of Dol y Moch) to ensure the service is delivered in a way that meets the expectations of the council.
- To lead the service based in Wales, ensuring optimum performance from the team.
The role will be based in Wales but will require some travel to Coventry.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with a background in operational leadership, preferably within the outdoor education and/or outdoor leisure sectors. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Up to date knowledge of outdoor education in terms of curriculum, safe and effective practice.
- Sound academic knowledge of OE theory and the contribution that attendance on a residential outdoor education course can make to raise levels of pupil engagement, attainment and achievement across subject curricular areas and personal development.
- Flexible and responsive to the changes and challenges that arise within a small residential education centre in a relatively remote location
- High expectations of pupils’ learning, attainment and behaviour, and the ability to relate their experience at the centre to success in their work at school.
- Experience of working in a senior leadership role within the outdoor education or leisure industry.
- An understanding of the importance of outdoor education for young people.
- Experience of leadership in a growing business including excellent people management
- They are financially literate and able to set and be responsible for budgets.
- Experience of change management.
The successful candidate needs to be an enthusiastic, motivated self-starter.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): 18th June 2021
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city - Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks