Coventry City Council Privacy Notice for the Recruitment Service
Coventry City Council Complies with the Data Protection Act and the GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This Privacy Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
The software we use to help manage recruitment processes is called TribePad which is owned by Talent on View Limited. This means that your personal data is processed by Talent on View Limited (the ‘data processor’) on behalf of Coventry City Council, following the instructions the Council sets out.
Why we collect and use Personal Data about you
We collect and hold personal information relating to recruitment.
We use this information to:
- Communicate with you about job applications made and provide you alerts about vacancies for roles you have indicated you will be interested in.
- Evidence how you meet the requirements of the job being applied for.
- Make decisions about whether and how to progress your application through the various stages of the recruitment process.
- Initiate pre-employment and employment checks when job offers are made.
- Enter into an employment contract with successful candidates.
- Help us maintain and promote equality in the workplace.
We process personal data because it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations which change throughout the recruitment process:
Consent: We use the personal data in your candidate profile to communicate with you and provide you alerts about vacancies for roles you have indicated you will be interested in.
Contract: Processing your data is necessary to move your application forward before signing a contract of work. This concerns employment or pre-employment checks.
Legal obligation: UK law requires the Council as an employer to check that candidates are entitled to work in the UK.
What personal information do we collect about you?
- Contact details
- Date of birth
- National insurance number
- Driving licence
- Birth certificates
- Proof of current address
- Your CV, to include: employment history, education & qualification details, references.
- Nationality details
- Convictions, allegations and offences as part of pre-employment checks
- Evidence of your right to work in the UK and immigration status
- Race or ethnicity
- Religious beliefs
- Sexual orientation
- Health Information
- Details of your use of our recruitment tools and services, such as your candidate profile and alerts for vacancies
- The status of your application and updates on how it moves forward
Who we share your Personal Data with
We share your data with:
- Hiring Council departments
- People named by candidates as referees
- The DBS for criminal records checks
- Occupational Health Services to confirm your fitness for work
- External Occupational Health providers and medical professionals
- Providers of psychometric tests for certain job roles
How long will we keep your information?
We will keep your information for 12 months following the last time you accessed or updated your candidate account or made an unsuccessful job application. We will contact you before your account is deleted to ask whether you would like to continue to be notified about vacancies that become available.
You will be able to delete your candidate account at any time prior to becoming a hired employee of the Council. If you become an employee of the Council contractual rules will apply to the retention of your data. Further information can be found on the full HR Privacy Notice, on CCC website, here.
You have the right to:
- Ask to see the personal information we hold about you
- Withdraw consent (see below)
- Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use your personal Information
- Ask for human intervention regarding decisions made about you by a computer
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
To exercise any of these rights please contact the Recruitment Service at email@example.com
Withdrawal of Consent
Where personal data is processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent. However, Coventry City Council process personal data that it is necessary to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations and to enable us to perform tasks carried out in the public interest.
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision. firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioners Office at:
The Information Commissioners Office,
Date of last review: November 2019